Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Oh, where O where have I been?

I don't have any cute pictures right now so my words will have to do!

The Midwest Summit on Adoption and Orphan Relief took place at our church last Saturday. I think it went extremely well! We had 250 in attendance. We also had 50 speakers and 30 Exhibitors. The keynote address was exceptionally good as Dr. Taylor challenged everyone to come out of their comfort zone when it comes to getting involved with adoption and/or orphan relief. I am confident that we will never know (on this side of heaven) the number of lives that will be changed because of this conference! God is good!

We also had our 12-month post-placement appointment with the Social Worker. It is hard to believe that we are approaching our one year anniversary of adopting Sarah! Time flies! This will be our last correspondence with the Chinese Center for Adoption Affairs. No, we won't be adopting again....not from China anyway! (tee hee) China does not allow families to have more than five children in the home...unless they do a large family waiver. To be quite honest, my quiver is quivering so we will move on.

I was talking with some friends during the conference about how I had two big hurdles to clear in regards to Sarah. First...get her off of the bottle. Okay, so she was still on the bottle! It was her still on the bottle or me going on one! Quite frankly, there is only one thing meaner in the morning that me without my coffee....Sarah without her bottle. The other hurdle had to do with her sleeping arrangement. I have spent every night in her room until she falls asleep. If I sneak out and she isn't asleep....oh, my! So, I knew that as we approached the first anniversary of having Sarah home with us, I needed to take care of those two things. What I didn't know is that three nights with Grandma was all it took! Sarah has no interest in the bottle and no interest in me being in her room as she falls asleep. Go figure!

We are now focusing on finishing up school. We are busy with track meets. Tyler is in the school play this year, too.

Well, that's a little update. I'm sure I'll be posting more pics of our crew soon.
K

1 comment:

Jeff and Madeline said...

Glad to see you back. I am so glad things went off without a hitch. I am thinking it may have been that Sarah having to go to bed without you made all the difference, it may have been a fear she was not ready to face as long as you were there, but since there was no other choice she had to do it and saw that it was not so bad after all. That being said, don't get too comfy, it seems like after two good weeks of being "on their own" there is a relapse, but stick to it and she will too.
Can't wait to visit you guys again.