Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Kathy Johnson Alexander, Class of 1985


I received only two items in the mail today. I thought that to be strange since we have started receiving Christmas cards from friends and family. The first item I looked at was the alumni magazine from the college I attended quite some time ago. I always enjoy looking at the new things happening there and looking to see the Alumni Notes section that breaks down each graduating class, highlighting some individual achievements in recent times. I usually go through a minor self-esteem issue when I read them. In the world’s eyes, I may not have accomplished much these days. I was well on my way in the early part of the 80’s. I finished my undergraduate degree in 1985 and literally within 24 hours had moved to my new Graduate Assistantship at Bowling Green State University. I finished my MA when I was 23 years old. I worked for a few years in higher education before something happened to me. I became a mother. All professional goals I had at the time literally went out the window! I struggled in the early years of being a stay-at-home-mom because I didn’t feel “important.” Over the years I’ve developed a greater appreciation for my decision and to be quite honest, I don’t care anymore. I’m where I am called by God to be at this time in my life. It is just that silly alumni magazine can get me thinking. Ah, but the other piece of mail followed!

Shaohannah’s Hope is a ministry started by Steven Curtis Chapman and his wife, Mary Beth. They sent us a copy of the booklet, “Miracles: Testimonies of God’s Faithfulness in Adoption.” It is their version of “alumni notes” of little ones that have been blessed by the generosity of Shaohannah’s Hope in the form of financial grants. The book was full of different testimonies of families and their experience of adopting a child in need of a forever family. There were children from China, the United States, Guatemala, Ethiopia, Russia and other countries. All of the families of these children were given money from Shaohannah’s Hope to bring home their child. I was blessed to have just sat down to read the testimonies. Section titles of this booklet excite me! A Seed of Faith outlines the story behind the start of adoption in the Chapman family. Their daughter Emily challenged her parents to consider adoption. That small note from a young teenage girl resulted in three more Chapman’s coming into the family by way of China. It also started this huge ministry that helps families with adopting and challenges churches to create a ministry with an adoption/orphan relief focus. Other sections highlight adoptions from specific countries. I especially like the section titled “Hidden Treasures.” The Scripture verse of Isaiah 45:3 is written in red print, “And I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness-secret riches. I will do this so you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name.” It is in this section that you would see the beautiful treasure we know as Sarah Alexander! Shaohannah’s Hope gave us a generous grant to help in the adoption expenses in our journey to bring Sarah home. We are so grateful to them for blessing us. I am grateful for them blessing me today. I am truly rich! It was not by accident that I would receive these two mailings today! Am I where I thought I’d be back in 1985 when I graduated from college? No. I’m in a better place than I could have ever imagined…..I’m right where God wants me! Why would I ever want to be someplace else? For it is in this place that I am blessed with riches like no other!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my all time favorite posts yet...Kathy Johnson Alexander...you are blessed!

Love,
Diane...just another SAHM...and blessed to be that!! xoxoxoxo

Jeff and Madeline said...

Kathy,

I feel sometimes in that place of "unimportance". I received my MA right before (4 days before) we started the adoption process for Madeline. I had a plan (of course wait times were supposed to be six months-HA HA). I so wish I would have continued my PhD right then and there during the wait, but we thought "HOW???" with travel only 8 months off--if only we knew then. I digress...anyway, we having been mulling, debating, agreeing, disagreeing, etc. over how to proceed now. We got Madeline at 25 months, not the under one year baby we thought we would get; it took a year, not six months; my plan is shot due to the issues relating to toddler adoption instead of infant; and I am in a place of confusion. I so want to have that baby I never had and yet I want Madeline to have all opportunities and that means heading back to school. Thinking Madeline will be an only child is charting into the unknown for me. Is it okay? Is it better? Worse? Who knows.
If only we had a crystal ball right?
I know I will be home with Madeline until at least first grade and then only will work when she is in school--my choice because for me it is what is best for her (for our family), but I also want her mom to be a professional which will not happen if we go for a second child.
Okay, I have rambled enough on your blog.
Just wanted to let you know that I agree--our SAHM status is just as important as the high powered jobs we used to have (mine used to be in the corporate arena). I get those same magazines and often wonder too.
Anyway, hope to see you in a week or so.

Tom Alexander said...

From the Husband of a SAHM...to all SAHM'S...thanks for all you do...I know every day when I get home from work, that you have worked harder than me today. Thanks for pouring your life into the lives of our precious children, the most valuable commodity we'll ever be entrusted with!
Tom