Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Eight Is Enough

It was 1972 when top photo was taken! My oldest brother Bill was obviously a Navy man. He was about 19 or 20 at the time. To his right is my next oldest brother, Bob. Bob was probably a senior in high school…don’t let the height full you! He was hoping to get taller one day and eventually get to shave like most young men his age! Next in line was my oldest sister, Kimmy. Kimmy is a red head through and through. As you can see, she is pretty consistent with her photogenic abilities…see her photo just to the right of her?! She looks the same! Next in line was my sister Karen. Karen sort of resembles Laura Ingles for the Little House on the Prairie Show….that was Monday nights at 8:00 p.m. when I was growing up! She looks pretty harmless don’t you think? Don’t let the look fool you! Untuck the sheets just a little bit when you are in the same bed and whoa!!!!!!! That’s me in the ruffled shirt! I was probably nine years old at the time. That might have been the year I got my Mrs. Beasley doll. Fortunately, my bangs don’t look so bad. Our mother was terrible at cutting bangs….especially when she used nail clipping scissors! I think I was checking out my bangs when Dad took this photo! After me came my sister, Kara. Look at that face! She is so darn cute in this photo. Look at how lovingly her oldest sister is holding on to her hands! Mom and Dad planned to stop at six children, but along came a surprise by the name of Walter Bert Johnson. That’s him…the baby with his fingers in his mouth being held by the Navy man. What kid wants to be called “Walt?” Not many. That’s why he is known as Buzz. Not wanting him to be lonely, Mom and Dad brought the firecracker redhead younger sister, Karla. This was the time in Karla’s life when she was the quietest. Once she started talking, she never stopped! Yes, three boys….Bill, Bob and Buzz. Five girls…Kim, Karen, Kathy, Kara and Karla. What ever became of them?

Fast forward to 2006……..

Here they are! There’s Bill….one time the tallest…not so anymore..but he can still hold his baby brother Buzz on his hip! Bill is now a Social Worker and Minister. There’s Bob. Not only did he grow 11 inches after high school, he also grew a beard. As you can see, baby Karla grew a bit, too. Bob can still hold her in his arms though. Bob is postal….really. Maybe that isn’t funny. Sorry, Bob. Bob works for the Post Office in McDonald, Ohio. There’s Kimmy. Compare the lips from the two photos…still the same! She’s attempting to be the loving sister over Kara, but it is more difficult since Kara is taller than Kimmy. Kimmy is on staff at a resort in Arizona. There’s Karen with that same goofy look! She’s sad that she can only watch Little House on some obscure cable channel now in the middle of the afternoon. Karen keeps busy with her family and helping take care of Karla’s kids. Kara no longer has that innocent cute face. Look at her…she’s much wiser now ‘cause she is a school teacher that has to be two steps ahead of her second graders! There’s me with that silly look. Am I looking up at my bangs or just pondering what life would have been like as an only child? Boring, I’m certain. You all know what I’m up to…overeducated, SAHM of five kids. Look at Buzz….still has those fingers in his mouth. He’s as big as the Navy man now! Buzz is in management at a Value City in Ohio. Then there is the baby of the family…still a firecracker….still a red head until the grey starts coming in soon. She’s a Social Worker, too.

We could all tell stories that would make you wonder why anyone would have eight kids. Mom, she did a great job considering what she had to work with!!!! J Dad, if he was able to look down at us on that cold night this December, he’d probably say, “None of you are right in the head.” I’m certain he’d then pull out his white hanky to dry the tears as his belly would jiggle as he’d get emotional thinking, “I’m proud of them…all eight of them.” Eight is not enough….it’s just right!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy, the pictures and comments were great! I gazed down at the rest of the blog, especially the girls dressed alike, Dane singing, and the slide show in black and white was just beautiful. What an exciting life, always something going on and so many blessings.
Love, Polly

Karen said...

Kathy, The pictures were great. I still enjoy watching Little House on the Praire. By the way the dress you are wearing was originally mine. I can still remember when Dad (yes Dad) took us shopping for new clothes for our new school (Washington Elementary) in downtown Niles. I can see us all years from now posing for an updated photo, gray hair, canes ect. See you soon,
Love you, Karen

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the entertainment and sharing your family with us.

T