Monday, September 24, 2007

Endless Summer



One of my most favorite memories from childhood involved the Cleveland Indians! There were eight children in our family. Every Summer we would all get a chance to go with Dad to Cleveland to see the Cleveland Indians play ball at the old Municipal Stadium. Most of the time he would take two at a time. Mom would make ham and cheese sandwiches for us. She would always butter the inside of the buns...what was that about anyway?! We never went out to eat much. On occasion we would go to McDonald's and we would have to stay in the car. We were never allowed anything besides a cheeseburger, fries and a coke. If you didn't like onions...tough, take them off on your own! Well, on the Cleveland Indians trips we would hope that it was the lucky trip and we would stop at that huge fancy place Dad called, "Big Boys." We were blown away that they would come to your table and ask you what you wanted to eat!

I remember parking in these dark lots near railroad tracks. They were gravel lots. Dad would keep us close as we walked for what seemed like forever. I knew we were close when we saw the birds from Lake Erie flying around like crazy! We always sat on the third base side, upper level! My sister Karen got lucky one year and caught a fly ball! Those were great memories for me. Kara and I even got Hank Aaron's autograph one year.

When I go to a professional baseball game I always think of my dad! I remember hot days sitting on the front porch. Dad had the game on the radio! My sister Kimmy could recite the entire Cleveland roster when she was little....this was when Buddy Bell played on the team in the early seventies! Herb Score's voice was such a familiar sound to our family!

Anway, I love this time of year...especially when we know the summer is endless as long as the Cleveland Indians are still playing ball!

Go Tribe!

3 comments:

Ladyblog said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog.... you have a beautiful family!
~Rebecca

Jeff and Madeline said...

I love this post. It is so telling of the love for your dad and also the importance of family over "stuff". It is the memories of the moments, not of what brand outfit you had on or what toy was the hot item that year; it is the joy of sharing love with one another and coming together later in life to recall those special moments.

Hope you guys are all well and settling in to the new school schedules.

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

Kathy,

Thank you, thank you for your sweet prayer on our blog!! Keep praying!!! We are going to fight this until the Lord clearly says to stop. Right now He is calling us forward. It is so painful but very worth it! Please share with others to be praying!!

-Lindsey Wheeler