Saturday, July 21, 2007

Summer Vacation

We started our vacation by stopping off at the home of John and Theresa's near Cincinatti. They were part of our Lily travel group. In fact, we spent the return flight sitting by each other on the way home........an experience we all wish we could forget, but will never! We had a great time as some other travel friends came along....Rachel and Dale Horne with their two girls and Mike and Sam Lenhart with their daughter. This photo above is Hannah Horne (sitting in green), Ashley Gebhardt (standing), Sarah Horne, Lily, Sarah and Chloe Lenhart.
Antoehr photo of the girls: Hannah, Sarah, Chloe, Ashley and Lily. In the mirror you'll see Rachel and Sam!

After our visit with friends, I took the girls and Dane and Ty down to Pigeon Forge. Tom had to return to work for a few days and TJ didn't want to miss football camp. I took the kids to Dollywood later on Monday (which allowed us to return for free on Tuesday) and then Tom joined us there on Tuesday. This photo is of Sarah riding her horse she named, "Flicka."

Dane is on the left and Ty is in the biddle of Dane and Lily. Okay, I'm guilty once again of taking more photos of the girls than the boys. This happens for a number of reasons. First, I'm always with the girls and the camera is always with me. Second, the boys often take off on their own and I miss photo ops.

There is a water area that the girls loved. I'm glad I brought extra clothes! I was certain to bring their suits the next day!

Lily after getting wet!

The girls loved Dollywood. I'm glad we went the day before. I got to check things out, see the Veggie Tale show, and get an idea of what we'd do the next day.


I caved and bought the girls these little pets in a purse. They love them!


Sarah named her pootdle "Pokey." She was so funny as she came up to me and said, "Is my pet a boy or a girl?" By the looks of the poodle I decided to claim her to be a girl dog. So, Sarah decided to name her after Grandma's boy donkey. Oh, well.


The timing was perfect on Tuesday when the girls fell asleep. A huge rain came through that lasted for about an hour. I happened to be near a store with a great overhang and a bench. Tom was ever so kind to find me a cup of coffee and I just sat and enjoyed the quiet moment.

It did rais off and on while we were in the cabin. I brought some washable paints along for those times. Tom and the boys got up early and headed for some intense daylong hike. I enjoyed reading a book and keeping the girls busy.

Is this vacation or what? Tom and Sarah were sleeping and Lily was enjoying the quiet time as she sucked her thumb!

This is one of my favorite photos from vacation. It was a touching moment for me to see the hand of my little girl rested on the arm of her daddy!


Another rainy moment. Tom got up off of the couch and was quickly followed by Lily. She has several of her favorite things with her: her thumb, her blanket, her daddy and her brother.

We love getting up into the mountains when we travel to the Smoky Mountain area. The girls loved playing in the water. Moments like these make me grateful that God moved us to do what we needed to do to make these girls sisters! Thank you, God!


Sarah wasn't as brave as Lily when it came to the streams.....I'm glad because I was nervous. We went to a favorite spot that once allowed people to jump from a huge rock into the water. We allowed the boys to do it the last few years and it would literally make me sick. I'm glad they decided to make the jumping illegal....made my life easier!

Lily is always wanting to strike a pose!
Vacation was fun, but I must admit that it just wasn't the same without TJ. We are going to plan better next year so our family vacation is truly a family vacation.

5 comments:

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

What a wonderful trip! Would you believe that we only live 3 1/2 hours from Dollywood! I would have made the drive to meet you guys :D We LOVE the mountains and that area is one of our favorites to visit!

polkadot said...

Looks like fun -- especially the naps!

Anonymous said...

I want to go on vacation with the Alexander's!!!

Love,
Diane

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your article

Anonymous said...

Really interesting article. Hope to see same more!