Friday, July 20, 2007

Adoption Finalization

Most of this blog is dedicated to family things. It has been a while since I "got a little deep" on the blog. Today I am overwhelmed with being a child of God! I love being His child! As a result, I want to share a big part of me.

I recently had the opportunity to share a devotional thought at a youth sporting event associated with our church. It was the day before Father's Day. I thought I'd share some of those thoughts on the blog tonight.

My husband Tom and I have five children. We have two boys that are our biological sons and we have a son and two daughters that God brought to us through the gift of adoption. We have legal documents that communicate that TJ, Lily and Sarah are our children..no different that their brothers that are our biological children. Many people have said to me, “You have two of your own and you have adopted three.” I have never been offended by this, but it has always been a conviction of mine to set people straight...to help educate them. You see, they are all my own....my very own! They came to be my own in different ways.


If you know God as your heavenly father and you have accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior, you have been adopted into the family of God. We have two proofs of finalization of this adoption......the Holy Spirit and the Word of God.

The Holy Spirit. As children of God we have a mark of ownership on us. We have the Holy Spirit. We have the seal of the Holy Spirit.

Ephesians 1:13-14, “And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit GUARANTEEING our INHERITANCE until the redemption of those who are God’s possession.”

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 Paul says, “Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his SEAL OF OWNERSHIP on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.”

The Word of God. We have the Holy Spirit and we have the word of God to authenticate that we belong to God. Do you trust His word? Do you believe His word?

Paul tells us in Romans 8:38-39, “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to SEPARATE US FROM THE LOVE OF GOD THAT IS IN CHRIST JESUS OUR LORD.”

Nothing can undo the finalization of our adoption into the family of God. It doesn't matter how you came to know Him. We all have different journeys to where we know Him as Father. Regardless of how different our journey's are, we are "His own."

Tomorrow, as you celebrate Fathers Day, I hope you’ll give some thought to your relationship with your heavenly Father. He desires to be in a relationship with you. He wants to claim you as His own!

Tomorrow I will post pictures from our recent vacation. Another "deep" post on "hiders, hurlers and healers" will likely follow since I can't quite shake those thought either.

Good night from the Alexander home........were all five of my very own children are tucked in their beds for the night!

2 comments:

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

Kathy,
That was a wonderful post. Adoption is an amazing gift on so many levels. We often think of adoption as what we did to bring a child into our family, but as children of God forget that we are all adopted into God's family. Thanks for sharing some "deep" thoughts :D

Anonymous said...

Blessed am I to call you Sister in Christ!!! I am happy I stopped by this evening. Another reminder of what a special gift Adoption is for all of us!!!!

Love,
Diane